PS– Personal slowest: much like a PR, however, the individual sets a personal record for their slowest time.
This past Sunday I set a PS for the San Francisco half marathon. Am I bummed? yes, Am I happy I ran? yes! I realize my bod isn’t going to perform how I want it to every race.
Below are a few reasons why I set this PS:
- 3 weeks after the marathon was not enough time for my legs
- ran 1x since the marathon (wow, really? thought I could just wing it?!)
- hill runs x 1000000, yes this course went through the Presidio (enough said for you San Franciscans)
- I need to keep experimenting with different breakfasts before races to see what works best
- I am using this Ironman for guidance:
The beauty of setting a PS is already knowing what we are capable of. I know that I am fully able to run sub 8 minute miles with proper training and nutrition. This will happen again.
On a much different note, my friend Nick set a PR! he ran less, put on 10lbs of muscle, and cycled his way to a PR. I am so happy for him and his kick-ass Boston qualifying time!
Another friend ran his second marathon and was kettle-balling the very next day. Last, I know two guys who ran their first half and killed it! clearly, this race was a win for many.
Have you recently set a PR or a PS? what did you differently? what did you learn about through your training or lack of training?
post image source: http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/22/22/15/4793196/5/628×471.jpg